Select Page

Registration of Local Authority Licence

A local Authority License is required to operate a physical business in Malaysia. The licence is typically issued from the local authority office where the business is located. If you need a local authority license, please click the following button and order online.

Local Authority License

Processing steps of your applications

steps for mobile

Frequently Asked Question

What is a local authority license?

A local authority licence is a legal permit that a local government issues in Malaysia to authorize an individual or company to carry out specific activities within its jurisdiction. The types of activities that are typically authorized by a local authority licence vary depending on the locality but can include business operations, construction work, and the use of land for recreational or commercial purposes. 

What is a premises license?

A premises license is a type of license granted by the Malaysian government to businesses in order to allow them to operate from a specific location. Businesses must apply for a premises licence from the local council in order to be able to obtain one. The types of businesses requiring a premises license vary from state to state but generally include those requiring physical office location.

What is a signboard license?

A signboard license is a permit that must be obtained by a person who wishes to erect or affix a signboard to any premises. The purpose of this licence is to regulate the erection and display of all signboards within the district in order to preserve the good appearance of the community and to prevent any obstruction or danger that such signboards may cause.

What are the types of signboard licenses in Malaysia?

There are three types of signboard licences in Malaysia:

  • Class A licence – for use on a building or an object that is stationary. This licence is for businesses such as restaurants, cafes, beauty salons, etc.
  • Class B licence – for use on a moving object. This type of licence is for businesses such as taxi companies, delivery services, etc.
  • Temporary signboard licence – for use for a period of less than three months. This type of licence is generally used for special events or promotions.
Can I start a business without a local authority license?

You must have a local authority license if you need a physical office location. You can start an online business without a local authority licence in Malaysia, but certain restrictions exist.

Do I need to have an office location to apply for a local authority license?

Yes, you will need an office location to apply for a local authority license in Malaysia. The local authorities will want to see that you have a physical space where you can conduct business. This is to ensure that you are a legitimate business and that you will be able to serve the community.

What documents are needed to apply for a local authority license?

The most common documents required are a business registration certificate, a copy of the company’s directors’ identification cards, and proof of address. You must provide documentation proving that your business is legitimate and has the necessary operating permits. Additionally, you may be required to provide information about the proposed use of the property and proof of ownership or lease agreement.

Do I need premises licenses to operate a business in Malaysia?

You will need to apply for and obtain the premises licenses from the Malaysian authorities to operate your business in Malaysia. Depending on the nature of your business, you may need to apply for different types of permits, such as a business license, an operating license, and so on. You can consult us to determine which licenses are required for your business.

Do I need a signboard license to operate a business in Malaysia?

You need a signboard license to operate a business in Malaysia if your business is located within a zone that requires it. However, all businesses are not required to have a signboard license. If your business falls under any of the following categories, you will need to apply for a permit from the local authorities:

  • Businesses that are located within a zone that requires signage (e.g. commercial areas, entertainment districts, etc.)
  • Businesses with an outdoor signboard or advertisement
  • Businesses with more than one story or floor
  • Businesses with a neon light or fluorescent light box as part of their signboard or advertisement
How often do you need to renew a local authority license?

There is no definitive answer to this question. It depends on the local authority in question. Some local authorities may require that licenses be renewed annually, while others may have different requirements. It is advisable to check with the particular local authority in question to determine their specific requirements.

How many types of local authority licenses are there?

The types of licenses issued by local authorities in Malaysia vary from state to state. Generally, three categories of licenses are commonly issued: business, trade, and professional.

A business license is required for any person or company conducting business within a particular local authority area. A trade license is required for persons who wish to sell or supply goods or services within a local authority area. A professional license is required for persons who want to practice their profession within a particular local authority.

Each local authority has its own specific requirements and procedures for obtaining each type of license. For more information, please contact us for information.

Scan the code